What Does an HVAC Technician Do?September 12, 2019
Routine maintenance will keep your HVAC equipment running as long and as efficiently as possible. But what does an HVAC technician do during a service call? Read on to find out.
An HVAC technician will examine and troubleshoot your equipment to determine what—if anything—is causing problems. The first thing your technician will do is inspect working parts for worn or damaged components that need replacing. There may be issues you didn’t even know about that could decrease your system’s efficiency or cost you an expensive repair in the future.
There are some components of your HVAC equipment that you can and should clean yourself; there are others only a trained technician should access.
Your technician will clean the burner assembly, ignition assembly, and blower motor on the furnace. They’ll clear the condensate drain of blocks and clean the condenser and evaporator coils.
A technician will check to see if the filter needs cleaning or replacing, but you should be already changing your filter as needed.
When servicing your air conditioner or furnace, an HVAC technician may:
- Recalibrate the thermostat.
- Inspect connections.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Test the furnace blower motor for proper voltage and amp draw.
- Measure the air conditioner’s motor for proper voltage and amp draw.
- Check refrigerant charge on heat pumps and air conditioners.
- Check fuel line connections (heating specific).
- Inspect gas pressure, burner combustion, and the heat exchanger (heating specific).
- Measure airflow and adjust as needed.
- Check system controls to make sure the start cycle, operation, and shut-off sequence are operating correctly and safely.
- Inform you of any issues.
- Quote a repair price.
During Your Service Call
A visit from your trusted local HVAC technician can save you money and help your equipment run at peak performance. The benefits of maintenance include extended equipment life, decreased utility bills, and fewer repairs. During your service call, take advantage of the opportunity to ask your technician a few questions:
- How can I best program my thermostat? An HVAC technician can give you tips on how to save money and maintain a comfortable home temperature.
- Where is my HVAC filter? If you aren’t already, you’ll want to begin changing your filter regularly. Your technician can walk you through the steps.
- How can I increase my comfort? There are many indoor air quality solutions that can supplement your heating and cooling system and save you money on energy bills. Ask your technician what they recommend for your home.
At Hanson’s Plumbing & Heating, your comfort is our priority. Enroll in our Maintenance Agreement Program to receive convenient annual checkups and servicing for a great price. As always, you can call Hanson’s Plumbing & Heating any time for emergency service.
Contact us to learn more.